My Infoline Forum
 flag  India flag
sub icon

CHENNAI: The Madras high court on Thursday ruled that actor-director Kamal Haasan's " Vishwaroopam" cannot be screened in theatres across Tamil Nadu till January 28. The judge said that he will first watch the movie on January 26 after which, he would take a decision.

Earlier in the day, Haasan decided to seek legal recourse to get his film "Vishwaroopam" released on January 25 as scheduled. Buckling under pressure from some Muslim organizations opposed to the film saying it showed the community in a poor light, the state government decided on Wednesday evening to prohibit its screening in theatres across the state. The government cited law and order problems if the film was released in theatres in the state on the same day when Milad un-Nabi was celebrated.

Lashing out at Muslim groups protesting against his film, the actor said, despite having always worked for communal amity, he was now being ruthlessly used as a vehicle by small groups seeking a political profile.

"Any neutral and patriotic Muslim will surely feel pride on seeing my film. It was designed for that purpose," said the actor in a brief statement. Kamal Haasan, who is in the US for preparations for the film's overseas release on Friday, said, "Now I will rely on law and logic to come to our support. This kind of cultural terrorism will have to stop."

While he was touched by the voices in support for him and his film, he was appalled at how it was construed to be against "my Muslim brothers", said the actor. "I am not only hurt by these accusations of denigrating a community but my sensibilities are truly insulted," he said. Sources said the actor moved the Madras high court this morning and the case is likely to he taken up shortly.

"My statements in favour of the Muslim community have marked me as a sympathizer. I have always gone beyond the call of my duty as an actor to voice my opinion in favour of what was humane and civil. I have been part of an organization called Harmony India which worked for Hindu Muslim amity," Haasan said in his statement.

Thanking those who "rose to the occasion" and to his support on the Internet, the actor said, "Icon bashing is a great way to be noticed when you are not one yourself. It is happening again and again."

No Replies
Leave a Reply Here
Enter Your Name
Enter your Email
Enter your Contact No
Enter Your Message
Enter the code

@Copyright 2013 My Infoline -Whole World At Your Fingertips
(This site in under beta version, please feel free to send your suggestion to improve this portal , and also write a email to us if you find any bugs.)