My Infoline Forum
 flag  India flag
sub icon

Rajnath Singh set to come back as BJP presidentNew Delhi: Former BJP president Rajnath Singh is all set to return at the helm of party affairs after incumbent Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday evening announced that he will not seek an unprecedented successive second term as the party chief.

Rajnath Singh this morning met senior party leader LK Advani and Gadkari at their residences before heading to the BJP office here for the parliamentary board meet where he is expected to be nominated for the top party post.

Today is the last day of filing nominations for the BJP presidential polls.

On a day of dramatic developments capped by Gadkari’s announcement, Rajnath Singh – also a former Uttar Pradesh chief minister – on Tuesday emerged as the frontrunner in the BJP presidential poll battle.

Gadkari had till Tuesday afternoon appeared certain to be re-nominated. However, late in the evening Gadkari issued a statement saying he would not be seeking another term as president.

The development followed Tuesday's Income Tax 'surveys' of around nine locations connected to alleged financial wrongdoing by company linked to Gadkari and signals by party MP Yashwant Sinha that he could contest if Gadkari was re-nominated.

Informed sources said Advani also had reservations of Gadkari getting a second term in view of allegations surrounding the Purti group linked to him.

They said that Rajnath Singh was likely to be once again made party chief though efforts were being made to find "a more nationally accepted face". Singh has been BJP president twice earlier.

The BJP president has traditionally been elected unopposed.

Rajnath Singh's name emerged after a series of meetings involving party leaders Arun Jaitley, Venkaiah Naidu, Ram Lal and Ananth Kumar.

There was unease in sections of BJP over Gadkari's continuance though the party gave him a clean chit following a probe done by S Gurumurthy, a financial analyst considered close to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

BJP leaders feared that his second term would come in the way of party's all-out attack against the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government on the issue of corruption in the run-up to a series of Assembly polls this year and Lok Sabha polls in 2014.

Sources said the RSS had been in favour of giving a second term to Gadkari despite apparent lack of warmth to the move by Advani. They said that Gadkari not getting a second term was an affirmation of Advani's writ running in the BJP and also vis-à-vis RSS.

In his late evening statement, Gadkari accused the UPA government of spreading disinformation about him.

"I have committed no wrong or any impropriety either directly or indirectly. Yet the UPA government has been making an effort to spread disinformation about me in order to hurt me and my party... I do not wish that this should in any way adversely affect the interest of the BJP. I, have, therefore decided not to seek a second term as the president of the BJP," he said.

Earlier in the day, Gadkari had issued another corrected statement terming "as calculated, mischievous and politically motivated the Income Tax department's attempts to drag his name" into its surveys of various companies in Mumbai.

His first statement of the day had talked of the I-T survey coming on the eve of his "re-election as BJP president for a second term".

Sinha, who has been against Gadkari's continuation as president, caused a flutter as he collected a nomination form and a copy of the voters' list from presidential poll in-charge Thawarchand Gehlot.

Another Gadkari-baiter and former member of the BJP's national executive, lawyer Mahesh Jethmalani had indicated on Monday that he could contest against Gadkari if no one else does.

Party sources said Sushma Swaraj's name was also being mentioned as a probable candidate but she had not accepted the offer so far.

(With IANS inputs)

Source: http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/rajnath-singh-set-to-come-back-as-bjp-president_824563.html

No Replies
Leave a Reply Here
Enter Your Name
Enter your Email
Enter your Contact No
Enter Your Message
Enter the code

@Copyright 2013 My Infoline -Whole World At Your Fingertips
(This site in under beta version, please feel free to send your suggestion to improve this portal , and also write a email to us if you find any bugs.)