My Infoline Forum
 flag  India flag
sub icon

Kale Grapefruit Salad

The number of kale fanatics out there seems to be on the rise. Whenever the topic of kale comes up, I often hear people exclaiming, "I just love kale!" It's popping up on restaurant menus all over the country and new products, such as baked kale chips, are debuting in grocery stores everywhere.

People are going crazy over kale for good reason. It is packed with vitamins, calcium and just one 3.5 ounce serving boasts over 75 percent of our daily recommended value of beta-carotene. Not only that, but it contains a chemical called sulforaphane that has been shown to have powerful anti-cancer properties. Kale is healthy no matter which way you prepare it but, like many vegetables, it contains the highest amount of nutrients when consumed raw.

Unlike other greens, kale actually gets more tender the colder it gets outside, so now is the time to start making and enjoying kale salads. With just a little bit of love, kale can be transformed into a healthy and delicious raw salad. Look for Tuscan kale (also known as dinosaur, lacinato or black kale) or Russian red kale as they tend to be the most delicate.

Kale and grapefruit salad recipe
Massaging the kale and allowing it to marinate in the dressing tenderizes the leaves and makes it totally digestible and delicious.

Serves 4 as a side

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch kale (preferably lacinato or Russian red)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 large ruby red grapefruit
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted

Directions:
  1. Remove coarse stems from the kale leaves and discard (or save for vegetable stock!). Slice leaves into 1/4-inch thick strips using this roll and chop technique.
  2. Using a sharp knife, remove the skin and white pith from the outside of the grapefruit. Working over a bowl, slice in between the membranes to remove the segments. Squeeze the remaining juice from the membrane into the bowl and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and one tablespoon of the reserved grapefruit juice. Whisk in the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
  4. Using your hands, toss the dressing in with the kale leaves, massaging the leaves with your fingers as you go. Let sit for 20 minutes.
  5. When you're ready to serve, toss the marinated kale leaves with the grapefruit segments and toasted pine nuts.

Sourse : Sheknows

No Replies
Leave a Reply Here
Enter Your Name
Enter your Email
Enter your Contact No
Enter Your Message
Enter the code

@Copyright 2013 My Infoline -Whole World At Your Fingertips
(This site in under beta version, please feel free to send your suggestion to improve this portal , and also write a email to us if you find any bugs.)