My Infoline Forum
 flag  India flag
sub icon
AMD announces ‘Seattle’ microprocessor for server systemsAdvanced Micro Devices (AMD) on Tuesday announced a new microprocessor codenamed "Seattle," which is based on the ARM Holdings designs that currently prevail in tablets and smartphones.

Though Seattle is based on the ARM Holdings designs, the chip maker is aiming the chip at server systems, a market where AMD has been suffering a decline in its share.

The announcement of the new microprocessor for server systems by AMD isn't a surprising move as the company has long been signaling plans to expand that product line.

But, the development has revealed the company's plans to diverge. Thus far, the company has been employing the same technology base as Intel since the 1980s.

Andrew Feldman, general manager of server business division at AMD, said that computer makers want AMD to win in the server space as they are tired of depending on one big supplier like Intel. Commenting on the topic, Feldman said, "I think the largest customers want ARM to win."

However, AMD's Seattle microprocessor is not expected to become available commercially before the second half of 2014.

Source: Top News

No Replies
Leave a Reply Here
Enter Your Name
Enter your Email
Enter your Contact No
Enter Your Message
Enter the code

@Copyright 2013 My Infoline -Whole World At Your Fingertips
(This site in under beta version, please feel free to send your suggestion to improve this portal , and also write a email to us if you find any bugs.)